With a serious medical procedure like abortion comes physical risks. It’s important to understand how abortion will affect you physically before making a pregnancy decision for your future.
You deserve the facts. There is more than one type of abortion, so physical risks, including abortion affect, will vary for each type. We explain all of the possible physical risks in this blog.
Different Types of Abortion
1. Surgical Abortion
A surgical abortion involves the dilation of the cervix and different surgical tools, including a suction. Though there are a few types of surgical procedures based on how far along you are, they share possible risks, including:
- Damage to the uterus or cervix
- Uterine perforation
- Excessive bleeding
- Infection of the uterus or fallopian tubes
- Scarring of the inside of the uterus
- Reaction to the medicines or anesthesia, such as problems breathing
- Not removing all of the tissue, requiring another procedure
2. Medical Abortion
Medical abortion involves taking both mifepristone and misoprostol to end a pregnancy. Mifepristone blocks progesterone, a hormone that sustains a pregnancy, and misoprostol causes the uterus to contract and expel the pregnancy. Common risks of a medical abortion procedure include:
- Digestive system discomfort
- Heavy and prolonged bleeding
- An ongoing pregnancy (if the procedure doesn’t work)
- An incomplete abortion (which may need to be followed by surgical abortion)
Understand Your Pregnancy Details
We provide free and confidential medical pregnancy services through our highly trained RNs. We also offer education on all your options so you can make a confident decision.
Contact Sierra Pregnancy + Health today to schedule an appointment.
We do not provide extended OB/GYN or prenatal care, fertility testing, abortion services, or referrals for abortion.